A selection of delicious seasonal recipes created around one show stopping ingredient – walnuts.
Trio of California Walnut Bites
- Parmesan walnut clusters
100g grated Parmigiano Reggiano, finely grated
50g California Walnuts, roughly chopped
1 tbsp chopped chives
2 tsp dried red bell pepper flakes
- Walnut, cranberry & spinach bites
50g dried cranberries
75g California Walnuts, chopped, plus 25g for sprinkling
25g garlic and herb cream cheese
3 sheets filo pastry (100g)
25g butter, melted
2 sprigs rosemary, leaves finely chopped
- Waldorf wraps
100g garlic and herb cream cheese
1 stick celery, finely diced (70g)
35g California Walnuts, chopped
1 small red apple (150g)
2 tortilla wraps (125g)
- Preheat the oven to 200oC, gas mark six. Line two large baking trays with baking parchment.
- For the clusters, mix together the Parmigiano Reggiano and walnuts. Place eight large tablespoonfuls onto each tray and bake each for five minutes until golden.
- Allow to cool before transferring to a cooling rack. Sprinkle with chives and pepper flakes.
- Meanwhile, for the spinach bites, microwave the spinach for up to three minutes until just wilted, squeeze out the excess liquid and chop.
- Mix the spinach with the cranberries, walnuts and cream cheese in a large bowl and season.
- Brush one sheet of pastry with butter and lay another sheet on top, repeat with the remaining sheet.
- Spread the spinach filling evenly over the pastry and roll up from the long edge into a long sausage shape.
- Brush all over with butter and roll in the remaining finely chopped walnuts mixed with the rosemary. Cut into 16 pieces and place on a large tray, bake for 15 minutes until golden.
- For the Waldorf wraps, mix together the cream cheese, celery and walnuts. Grate the apple and squeeze out excess juice then stir into the mixture and season.
- Spread over the two wraps and roll up. Cut the ends off and then cut each wrap into eight, secure with cocktail sticks if required.
- Serve the trio of bites on one large serving platter or three separate smaller platters.
For the main
Great served warm with soup or cold leftover Christmas meats.
Sprout, Pepper & California Walnut Stir Fry
1 tbsp olive oil
1 onion, sliced (180g)
1 red pepper, sliced (180g)
500g Brussels sprouts, halved
100g California Walnuts
2 tbsp redcurrant jelly (50g)
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan and fry the onion and pepper for up to five minutes. Add the sprouts and walnuts and continue to fry for five minutes.
- Stir in the redcurrant jelly with two tbsp water until melted and season.
For the dessert
Individual Clementine & California Walnut Tiramisu
For the caramelised clementines
100g caster sugar
6 Clementines, peeled and each sliced into 3 (445g peeled weight)
25g California Walnuts
1 tbsp coffee granules (5g)
8 trifle sponges (175g)
200ml double cream
100g natural yogurt
100g caster sugar
75ml Marsala wine
100g California Walnuts, roughly chopped
- For the caramelised clementines, place the sugar and 150ml water in a medium saucepan and heat gently until the sugar has dissolved.
- Bring to the boil and simmer for up to five minutes until pale caramel in colour, remove from the heat and add 100 millimetres of boiling water.
- Place the clementines in a shallow bowl with the walnuts and pour over the caramel sauce, set aside to cool.
- Meanwhile, dissolve the coffee in 200ml boiling water, allow to cool before dipping in the trifle sponges, placing them in the base of eight small tumbler glasses or dishes.
- Whisk the mascarpone, cream, yogurt and sugar in a large bowl until thickened, whisk in the Marsala and then stir in the walnuts, spoon over the sponge bases and chill.
- Just before serving spoon over the clementine slices and juices.