It’s time to ditch the expensive takeaways and boring ready meals and give “fakeaways” a try.
These curry recipes are the clean-eating alternative to greasy take-outs and the budgeting-woman’s answer to pricey restaurant dining. Here are some of our favourite recipes, from Aldi’s new “fakeaway” home-dining range.
If you want a classic curry in a hurry, try Aldi’s irresistibly creamy Chicken Tikka Masala, authentically made with chargrilled marinated chicken breast in a rich masala sauce. You can spice things up with their Chicken Jalfrezi, packed with colourful veggies and doused in a spicy sauce. Both available in store now.
If you’re feeling adventurous, create a home cooked meal full of flavour and spice using ingredients from Aldi’s Taste of India Specialbuys range — on sale from now. The “Ready, Set, Cook!” Indian-style Spiced Chapatti kit comes complete with six white and wholemeal chapattis, spice seasonings and a mint and yogurt sauce — all that’s left for you to do is add the chicken.
These recipes are simple, yet delicious.
Chicken cashew curry
4 chicken breast fillets, cut into large chunks
150g cashew nuts
2 tbsp olive oil
2 onions, finely sliced
2 garlic cloves, finely sliced
1 tsp ground cinnamon
½ tsp ground ginger
2 tsp medium curry powder
400g tin chopped tomatoes
200g Greek style natural yogurt
500g basmati rice
10g fresh coriander
Salted lime, cut into segments
- Place 100g cashews into a heatproof bowl, cover with boiling water and soak for 10 minutes.
- Heat a little oil in a large frying pan or wok, add the onions, garlic, cinnamon, ginger and curry powder, and fry gently for 2 minutes, stirring regularly.
- Add the chicken to the pan and fry until golden.
- Add the tinned tomatoes, simmer for 15 minutes.
- Drain the soaked cashews, discarding the water, and place into a blender along with the yogurt.
- Blend until smooth.
- Remove the curry from the heat and stir in the yogurt and cashew mix.
- Add salt to taste.
- Toast the remaining 50g cashew nuts in a small frying pan over a gentle heat until golden.
- Cook the rice according to pack instructions and serve alongside the curry.
- Scatter the toasted cashew nuts and coriander over the curry before serving, along with the lime segments.
360g jar especially selected Jalfrezi sauce
375g pack British diced chicken breast
½ red pepper, sliced
½ green pepper, sliced
1 tbsp Solesta oil
2 salad tomatoes, each cut into 6
2 tbsp freshly chopped coriander
Basmati Micro Rice to serve
- Sauté the chicken and peppers in the oil for a minute.
- Stir in the spice mix from the top of the jar and cook for a further minute.
- Stir in the sauce, cover the pan and simmer for 15 minutes or until the chicken is cooked.
- Add the tomatoes and cook for a further 5 minutes.
- Stir in the chopped coriander and serve with Basmati Micro Rice.
- This mild chicken curry is packed full of flavour and it’s healthier than a standard takeaway
Find all of our flavour-packed recipes in the Platinum food & drink pages – from delicious desserts and savoury meals, to kids’ treats and unique bakes, we have it all. Be sure to follow us on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram for more vegan inspiration, @PlatinumMagUK